Thursday, October 7, 2010

Honestly, I didn't think there was an argument to be had when I posted this.

Michael Naftali Unterberg

Michael Naftali Unterberg Hey! I'm in the news!

    • Marcy Spiegel Oster As long as you do not make the news.
      23 hours ago ·
    • Raquel Shamula Mishaan Bravo!!! Great way to make the news!!
      23 hours ago ·
    • Michael Naftali Unterberg Hmm. How do I respond to contradictory comments?
      Thanks, guys!
      23 hours ago ·
    • Raquel Shamula Mishaan Love what you said, Love that you had the guts to say it....posted it on my wall.
      23 hours ago ·
    • Alan Stadtmauer Very nice!
      23 hours ago · · 2 peopleLoading...
    • Raquel Shamula Mishaan oh...wow....we need Rabbis like Mike here in Flatbush
      23 hours ago ·
    • David Giller Impressive!
      23 hours ago ·
    • Lynda Steiner We read all about you on Friday.
      21 hours ago ·
    • Jocelyn Eckert “Trembling Before G-d” definitely made me look at the world differently; it's very cool that you made your class watch it.
      21 hours ago ·
    • Gabrielle Unterberg yay, abba!
      21 hours ago ·
    • Michelle Sanit Awesome!! :)
      20 hours ago ·
    • Abe Adler I knew I should have not have cancelled my subscription to Cleveland Jewish News!! Can you send me a signed copy so I can say I remember when....?
      20 hours ago ·
    • Neil Parks
      There is nothing wrong with "Don't ask; don't tell." What consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes is their own business.

      If two members of the same sex share a home, I don't care whether they are a gay couple or merely an "od...d couple", and I don't need to know.

      If a Jew has a strong yetzer hora to eat pork, or to desecrate Shabbos, or to engage in a form of intimacy which the Torah prohibits, fine. Do whatever you want to do, but don't flaunt it in my face.
      See More
      20 hours ago ·
    • Jenny Drummer Salman Kol Hakavod, Michael.
      20 hours ago ·
    • Aaron Berger
      Mike:
      (of course you knew I couldn't just let this one pass)
      I'm all for treating everyone with respect, and what a person does in his bedroom doesn't concern me any more than any other mitzvot bein adam l'makom. And so, if someone quietly en...gages in homosexual activity, I agree that it's wrong to discriminate against such an individual.
      However, in the instance of someone who is openly violating a negative transgression, how can we condone such behavior?
      See More
      20 hours ago ·
    • Michael Naftali Unterberg God has not asked me to condone or condemn anyone. Has has asked me to love and treat my neighbor as myself. I obey His command. Most Jews violate most commandments, and most do so openly. My obligation remains the same to all, and I can't imagine any policy decision more important than that.
    • Joshua Caruso Michael, my favorite quote is "people are not taboo". Indeed, many gays and lesbians do not feel respected as people, and alienation occurs when they are treated as if they are "mukseh".
      19 hours ago ·
    • Michael Naftali Unterberg Thanks, Josh. Well put.
      19 hours ago ·
    • Aaron Berger Mike:
      Isn't there a difference between someone who violates Shabbat (even in public), and someone who advertises that he happily violates Shabbat and encourages others who violate Shabbat to join him?
      19 hours ago ·
    • Michael Naftali Unterberg
      First of all, I think the analogy is way off for several reasons.

      Regardless, the answer is no, my halachic obligation remains the same.
      And frankly, I'm much more troubled by the problem that Josh raises than principle that you raise. Real ...people are more important than arguable theoretical points.See More
      19 hours ago ·
    • Martha Brandt-Pollock Your usual clarity and insightful reasoning mixed with history, Hashem, and the experience of love, learning, and life. Miss you so much.
      15 hours ago ·
    • Michael Naftali Unterberg Thanks, Martha. Miss you too. ( and thanks for not picking on my poor writing) ;)
      15 hours ago ·
    • Ryan Kuhel Amen. Too much hate exists in the world already. No need to add any more.
      12 hours ago ·

No comments: